Life Membership of the RSL:
- Is one of the highest honours that can be bestowed on a service member of the League by RSL National.
- The award is limited each year to one member per 750 members of the League Australia wide.
- A Service Member of the League can only be proposed for the class of Life Member and Gold Badge if they meet the following two criteria:
- He or she has been a service member of the League for at least 15 continuous years.
- He or she has rendered not less than 10 years of outstanding service to the League.
It is an honour and privilege to be here today to present service member and current member of the Mackay RSL Sub-Branch, Dawn Salisbury, with her RSL Life Membership and Gold Badge and I ask that you show your congratulations in the usual manner.
We all know that Dawn has earned her Life Membership award by giving years of unselfish and dedicated service to the Ex-Servicewomen’s Sub-Branch in Mackay and the PFH District.
Before I ask Dawn to come forward to receive his award, I would like to provide you with an overview of Dawn’s service to the RSL in Mackay and the District:
- Dawn joined the Ex-Servicewomen RSL Sub-Branch in June 2006.
- She was the President of this Sub-Branch from 2010 until it closed in 2016 due to low membership.
- Dawn is now a member of the Mackay Sub Branch.
- During this time, Dawn was also Treasurer of the PFH District from 2009 until early 2021 when she stood down.
- Over many years, volunteered her time to man the memorabilia stalls at shopping centres in Mackay in the lead up to ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day.
- Over many years, has tirelessly worked to raise funds to provided welfare services to the members and veterans in Mackay. She has also taken members to meetings and events, and regularly visited members at their homes.
- Also dedicated time to serve as the District Treasure of the District for nearly 13 years.
I am personally aware of the contribution and service Dawn has given to the RSL in Mackay and the District during my tenure as Vice-President/President of the PFH District from 2014. It was an honour to have served the RSL with her and I congratulate Dawn on being made a Life Member of the League.
The Secretary of the PFH District, Lynette Phillips, has worked with Dawn for most of this time, and I ask Lynette to come forward and pin the Life Member Gold Badge on Dawn.